Zonegran Side Effects
While most people have no side effects when taking Zonegran, problems can still occur. Some common side effects of the drug include drowsiness, loss of appetite, and agitation. These side effects are generally mild; however, serious side effects are possible. If you experience side effects such as hallucinations or signs of an allergic reaction, seek immediate medical attention.
An Introduction to Zonegran Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Zonegran® (zonisamide); however, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Zonegran. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Zonegran side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of ZonegranZonegran has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Zonegran included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 17 percent of people
- Loss of appetite -- up to 13 percent
- Headaches -- up to 10 percent
- Agitation or irritability -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 8 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 6 percent of people) included:
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Flu-like symptoms (such as chills or body aches)
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Dry mouth (see Zonegran and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss (see Zonegran and Weight Loss)
- Coordination problems
- Unusual eye movements
- Unusual sensations, such as burning, tingling, or numbness
- Speech problems
- Irritated or runny nose
- Double vision
- Changes in taste.