In most cases, people will start with a low Zonegran dose and slowly increase up to an effective one. The recommended starting dose for treating partial seizures is Zonegran 100 mg, taken once daily for the first two weeks. If you have liver or kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower Zonegran dosage and increase your dose more slowly.
The dose of Zonegran® (zonisamide) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Zonegran dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Zonegran Dosage for EpilepsyZonegran is approved to be used along with other seizure medications to treat partial seizures in adults and adolescents age 16 and older. The recommended starting dose for partial seizures is Zonegran 100 mg, taken once daily for the first two weeks. Then, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to Zonegran 200 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may continue to increase your Zonegran dose if necessary to control your seizures, with at least two weeks in between dose changes. Because it takes up to two weeks for the medication to reach a steady level in your blood, dose changes should not occur more frequently than every two weeks.
The liver and kidneys help to remove Zonegran from the body. If you have liver or kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower Zonegran dosage and may increase your dose more slowly.
General Information on Dosing With ZonegranConsiderations for people taking Zonegran include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form and is taken by mouth once or twice daily.
- Usually, you will start with a low Zonegran dosage and slowly increase up to an effective one.
- Be sure to swallow the capsules whole (do not chew, crush, or open them).
- Zonegran can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Zonegran should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Zonegran will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Zonegran or your Zonegran dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Zonegran Withdrawal).