Zonegran and Dry Mouth
Side effects are possible with Zonegran, and dry mouth is one of the more common ones. In clinical studies, up to 2 percent of people taking Zonegran reported having a dry mouth. Suggestions that may provide relief include sipping water often, using a humidifier at night, and avoiding tobacco. If you continue to experience a dry mouth with Zonegran, your healthcare provider may have additional recommendations.
Zonegran and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the more common side effects of Zonegran® (zonisamide). In clinical studies, up to 2 percent of people taking the drug to treat partial seizures reported having a dry mouth, compared to just 1 percent of those not taking it.
Zonegan and Dry Mouth: SuggestionsIf you are noticing a dry mouth that is possibly due to Zonegran, there are some things that you can do to help. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol, because they dry out the mouth.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods, because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Use a humidifier at night.