When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take valproic acid include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule or oral syrup form. It is usually taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- Valproic acid can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush or open the capsules. They should be swallowed whole in order to prevent throat and stomach irritation.
- Valproic acid should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Valproic acid will not work if you stop taking it.
- Do not stop taking valproic acid without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Valproic Acid Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of valproic acid your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of seizures being treated
- Your weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Valproic Acid Dosing for more information.)