Topamax Side Effects
Dizziness, fatigue, and nervousness are some of the most common side effects that have been reported by adults using Topamax. Side effects that have been seen in children include hair loss, constipation, and fever. In most cases, side effects of Topamax are minor, but some problems may need to be reported to your healthcare provider. Seek immediate medical attention if you (or your child) experience chest pain, vision problems, or difficulty breathing.
Topamax Side Effects: An Introduction
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Topamax® (topiramate). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Topamax. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Topamax side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Topamax in Adults
Topamax has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Topamax side effects in adults included:
- Unusual sensations, such as burning or tingling (paresthesias) -- in up to 51 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 32 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 30 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 29 percent
- Mental and physical slowing or delays -- up to 21 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 19 percent
- Upper respiratory infection (such as the common cold) -- up to 18 percent
- Coordination problems -- up to 16 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 16 percent (see Topamax Weight Loss)
- Loss of appetite -- up to 15 percent
- Taste changes -- up to 15 percent
- Confusion -- up to 14 percent
- Difficulty with concentration or attention -- up to 14 percent
- Nausea -- up to 14 percent.
Some other common side effects, occurring in 5 to 13 percent of adults, included:
- Memory loss
- Language or speech problems
- Changes in gait (walking pattern)
- Sinus infection or irritation
- Mood problems
- Decreased sense of touch
- Viral infections
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Joint pain
- Sore throat
- Dry mouth
- Mood problems
- Back pain.
Impotence (also known as erectile dysfunction or ED) is also a common side effect of Topamax, although the exact percentage was not reported (see Topamax Sexual Side Effects).