Topamax 100 mg
The amount of Topamax® (topiramate) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on the condition being treated.
The standard dose is 50 mg twice daily, for a total of 100 mg of Topamax per day. You should start with a low dosage and work up to the 50-mg amount. The manufacturer recommends increasing the dosage as follows:
- First week -- 25 mg once daily
- Second week -- 25 mg twice daily
- Third week -- 25 mg in the morning and 50 mg in the evening
- Fourth week -- 50 mg twice daily.
The recommended dosage for epilepsy as monotherapy (used alone) is 200 mg twice daily. The manufacturer recommends slowly increasing the dose as follows:
- First week -- Topamax 25 mg twice daily
- Second week -- Topamax 50 mg twice daily
- Third week -- Topamax 75 mg twice daily
- Fourth week -- Topamax 100 mg twice daily
- Fifth week -- Topamax 150 mg twice daily
- Sixth week -- Topamax 200 mg twice daily.
The recommended dose of Topamax for epilepsy as adjunctive therapy (in combination with other epilepsy medications) varies, depending on your age and the type of seizures you are experiencing.
(Click Topamax Dosage for more detailed dosing guidelines, including recommendations for children, and for general tips and precautions when using this medication.)