Tegretol Drug Interactions
Some of the medications that can lead to Tegretol drug interactions include birth control pills, antidepressants, and certain antibiotics. These interactions can alter the levels of some medications in your blood and make them less effective, or may increase your risk of side effects. If Tegretol drug interactions are a concern, your healthcare provider may monitor the levels of medication in your blood and adjust your dosages.
An Overview of Tegretol Drug InteractionsTegretol® (carbamazepine) can potentially interact with many other medications. Some of the medicines that may lead to Tegretol drug interactions include:
- Certain antibiotics or antifungals, including:
o Erythromycin (Ery-Tab®)o Isoniazid (Nydrazid®)o Itraconazole (Sporanox®)o Ketoconazole (Nizoral®)o Telithromycin (Ketek®)
- Certain antipsychotic medications, including:
- Certain calcium channel blockers, including:
- Cisplatin (Platinol®)
- Danazol (Danocrine®)
- Grapefruit juice
- Hormone contraceptives (such as birth control pills, implants, patches, and rings)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), including:
- Other seizure medications
- Protease inhibitors, such as:
- Theophylline (Elixophyllin®, TheoCap®, Theocron®, Theo-24®, Uniphyl®).