For adults and children over 12 years old, the recommended starting dose of Tegretol suspension when treating epilepsy is one teaspoonful (100 mg) four times daily. For children ages 6 to 12 years old, the recommended starting dose is ½ teaspoonful (50 mg) four times daily. For children under 6 years old, the starting dose is based on weight -- Tegretol 10 mg to 20 mg per kg total per day (about 4.5 mg to 9 mg per pound), split up into four doses per day. It is important to remember that each teaspoonful of Tegretol suspension contains 100 mg of Tegretol.
Tegretol Dosage for Trigeminal NeuralgiaThe recommended starting dose for treating trigeminal neuralgia is Tegretol 100 mg twice daily (for Tegretol tablets or Tegretol XR tablets) or ½ teaspoonful of Tegretol suspension (50 mg) four times daily. Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your Tegretol dose as necessary in order to control your symptoms.
General Information on Dosing With TegretolConsiderations for people taking Tegretol include the following:
- The medication comes in immediate-release tablets, extended-release tablets (Tegretol XR), and a suspension (liquid) form. Chewable immediate-release Tegretol tablets are also available. Depending on the particular product, Tegretol is taken by mouth two to four times daily.
- Tegretol can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Make sure to shake the Tegretol suspension thoroughly just before each dose. Do not mix the suspension with food or other liquids (including other medications).
- Do not crush, chew, or break the long-acting form of Tegretol. Inspect each Tegretol XR tablet to make sure it is not chipped or damaged. Make sure each tablet has a tiny hole in it (this is how the medication is released). You may notice the Tegretol XR shell in your stool; this is normal and should not cause any problems.
- Tegretol should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Tegretol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Tegretol or your Tegretol dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Tegretol Withdrawal).