Tegretol and Dry Mouth
Side effects are possible with Tegretol, and dry mouth is one of them, although it isn't the most common. To obtain relief, you can try avoiding tobacco or alcohol, using a humidifier at night, and sipping water or sugarless drinks often. If you continue to experience dry mouth with Tegretol, your healthcare provider may have other suggestions, such as trying a different medication.
Tegretol and Dry Mouth: An OverviewA dry mouth is a possible side effect of Tegretol® (carbamazepine), although it is not among the most commonly reported Tegretol side effects. The exact percentage of people who developed a dry mouth due to Tegretol was not reported.
Tegretol and Dry Mouth: SuggestionsIf you are taking Tegretol and dry mouth occurs, there are some things that you can do that may help. Some of these suggestions include:
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods, because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.