There are currently several forms and strengths of generic Tegretol available. The FDA has assigned an "AB" rating to generic Tegretol, which means that it is considered equivalent to the brand-name version.
Tegretol Generic: An OverviewTegretol® (carbamazepine) is a prescription medication that is used to treat epilepsy and trigeminal neuralgia.
Brand-name Tegretol is manufactured by Novartis Pharmaceuticals. However, this medication is also available in generic form.
- Carbamazepine 100 mg chewable tablets
- Carbamazepine 200 mg tablets
- Carbamazepine suspension 100 mg per 5 mL (100 mg per teaspoonful)
- Carbamazepine extended-release 200 mg tablets
- Carbamazepine extended-release 400 mg tablets.
At this time, there are no generic versions of Tegretol XR 100 mg tablets available.
One generic manufacturer has chosen to give its generic version of Tegretol 200 mg tablets a new name: Epitol 200 mg tablets. These tablets are equivalent to Tegretol 200 mg tablets.
Who Makes Generic Tegretol Tablets and Suspension?Generic Tegretol tablets and suspension are made by several different manufacturers, such as:
- Actavis Elizabeth
- Apotex Corp.
- Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories
- IVAX Pharmaceuticals
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals
- Precision Dose, Inc.
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals
- Taro Pharmaceuticals
- Teva Pharmaceuticals