When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Sabril include the following:
- Sabril comes in tablet form or as a powder that is mixed with water to make a liquid. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
- For the powder form, empty the prescribed number of packets and add the prescribed amount of cold or room-temperature water (usually 10 mL of water per packet). After the medication is fully dissolved, measure the appropriate dosage. If you do not need all of the medication for a dose, make sure to discard the remaining amount; do not save it for later.
- For Sabril to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- As with other seizure medications, do not stop taking Sabril without your healthcare provider's approval. When you stop taking this medication, it should usually be stopped gradually over a period of at least three weeks.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Sabril your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have, especially kidney problems.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Sabril Dosage for more information.)