When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take primidone include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- Primidone can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Your dosage(s) should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Primidone will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking it without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Primidone Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of primidone your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Primidone Dosing for more information.)
Side Effects of PrimidoneAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with primidone. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Coordination problems
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
(Click Side Effects of Primidone to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)