Primidone comes in the form of a tablet and is generally taken one to three times a day. A healthcare provider will typically start you on a lower primidone dosage and, if necessary, slowly increase your dose in order to keep the seizures under control.
Primidone Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of primidone (Mysoline®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your primidone dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For adults and children eight years old and older, your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you start with a low primidone dose and slowly increase your dose as follows:
- Days 1 to 3 -- primidone 100 mg or 125 mg at bedtime
- Days 4 to 6 -- primidone 100 mg or 125 mg twice daily
- Days 7 to 9 -- primidone 100 mg or 125 mg three times daily
- Day 10 and beyond -- primidone 250 mg three times daily.
If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose further in order to control your seizures. In general, you should not take more than 2000 mg of primidone per day.
For children under eight years old, the following primidone dose is usually recommended:
- Days 1 to 3 -- primidone 50 mg at bedtime
- Days 4 to 6 -- primidone 50 mg twice daily
- Days 7 to 9 -- primidone 100 mg twice daily
- Day 10 and beyond -- primidone 125 mg to 250 mg three times daily.