Epilepsy Home > Peganone Dosage
Your specific dosage of Peganone will depend on how you respond to the medication, other drugs you are taking, and other factors. For children, the amount is also determined based on age and weight. This medicine comes in tablet form and is taken four to six times daily after eating. In general, most people start on a low dose, which can then be gradually increased.
An Introduction to Dosing With PeganoneThe dose of Peganone® (ethotoin) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight (for children)
- How you respond to the medication
- Other drugs you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Peganone Dosage for Adults?Peganone is usually started at a dosage of 1000 mg total per day or less, divided into smaller doses throughout the day. Typically, your healthcare provider will slowly increase your dose until your seizures are adequately controlled. Most adults need a total of 2000 mg to 3000 mg per day, split up into four to six doses.
Peganone Dosing Guidelines for ChildrenThe starting dose of Peganone for children will depend on your child's weight, although no specific weight-based dosing guidelines are available. The maximum starting dosage in children is 750 mg per day, split up into several smaller doses per day. Most children usually require 500 mg to 1000 mg per day, split up into four to six doses, although some children may need a higher amount.
General Information on Taking PeganoneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Peganone include the following:
- Peganone comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth four to six times a day.
- This medication should be taken after food, which can be difficult to manage if you are taking it six times a day. Try to space the doses out as evenly as possible.
- If you will be using Peganone to replace a different seizure medication, your healthcare provider should instruct you to stop taking your other medication gradually as your Peganone dosage is increased.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Peganone dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.