Epilepsy Home > Oxtellar XR Alternatives

If you are taking Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine extended-release) and develop bothersome side effects, or if the medicine is not adequately controlling your seizures, there are a number of alternatives. Oxtellar XR is just one of many anti-seizure medications used to treat partial seizures. Some of the alternatives that may be used include carbamazepine, felbamate, and phenytoin.

Are There Alternatives to Oxtellar XR?

Oxtellar XR™ (oxcarbazepine extended-release) is a prescription medication that belongs to a general group of medications called antiepileptics (also referred to as anti-seizure medications). These drugs are used to treat seizures in people with epilepsy.
Epilepsy (also called seizure disorder) is a brain disorder in which a person has recurring seizures. While there are many different types of seizures, they can generally be categorized into two major types -- partial seizures and generalized seizures. Partial seizures (also called focal seizures) occur in just one part of the brain. Generalized seizures affect both sides of the brain.
Oxtellar XR is approved for the treatment of partial seizures. It is only approved for use with other anti-seizure medications. Oxtellar XR is a very effective anti-seizure medication and can work well for many people, but it is not the best treatment choice for everyone. Some people may develop side effects to Oxtellar XR that are too bothersome to continue treatment. For others, the drug may not adequately control their seizures.
Fortunately, there are several alternatives to this drug for controlling seizures. Potential alternative treatments include:
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.