Epilepsy Home > Lamictal Dosage
General Information on Taking LamictalConsiderations for people taking Lamictal include the following:
- The medication comes in regular tablets, orally disintegrating tablets, and Lamictal CD tablets. It is taken by mouth, usually once or twice a day.
- Lamictal CD tablets are "chewable dispersible" tablets. These can be swallowed whole, chewed, or "dispersed" in a small amount of liquid. To disperse a tablet, add it to a small amount of liquid, about a teaspoonful or enough to cover the tablet. Wait a minute, then swirl the liquid to make sure the tablet is broken down, and swallow immediately.
Do not attempt to take a partial dose of the tablets by cutting them in half or taking half of the dispersed tablet in liquid.
- Regular Lamictal tablets can be broken in half if necessary to obtain the proper dosage. However, these tablets can be particularly difficult to break. You may want to consider purchasing a "pill splitter" or ask your pharmacist to split them for you.
- Lamictal orally disintegrating tablets should be placed on the tongue and moved around in the mouth. They will dissolve rapidly. They can be swallowed with or without water.
- Your dosage can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Lamictal should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Lamictal will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose of Lamictal, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Lamictal Withdrawal).