Epilepsy Home > Klonopin Dosage
Your dosage of Klonopin will be based on several factors, such as your age, the medical condition being treated, and other medical conditions you have. Typically, the starting dose for treating adults with seizures is 0.5 mg three times a day. This amount may be increased, if necessary, up to 20 mg total per day. When treating panic disorder, the starting dose is usually 0.25 mg twice daily.
An Overview of Dosing With KlonopinThe dose of Klonopin® (clonazepam) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Klonopin Dosage for EpilepsyThe recommended starting Klonopin dose for treating seizures in adults is Klonopin 0.5 mg (or less) three times daily. Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your dose as necessary to control your seizures, up to a maximum of Klonopin 20 mg total per day (split up into three smaller doses per day).
For infants and children, your child's healthcare provider will calculate the starting dose based on your child's weight. As your child grows, higher Klonopin dosages may be necessary.
Klonopin Dose for Panic DisorderThe recommended starting dose for treating panic disorder is Klonopin 0.25 mg twice daily. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose, if necessary, to control your panic disorder symptoms.
General Information on Taking KlonopinSome considerations for people taking Klonopin include the following:
- The medication is available in tablets and wafers (orally disintegrating tablets). Klonopin is taken by mouth, usually two or three times daily.
- The wafers will rapidly dissolve in your mouth, without any need for water. These are especially useful for children who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Klonopin can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Klonopin may cause serious problems if you take it in higher dosages or for a longer time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Klonopin Addiction).
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose of Klonopin, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.