When and How to Take the Drug
General considerations include the following:
- Keppra XR comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken by mouth just once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Keppra XR tablets must be swallowed whole. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablets.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking this medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.
The dose of Keppra XR that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Side Effects of Keppra XR
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Keppra XR. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Keppra XR include, but are not limited to:
(Click Keppra XR Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)