Epilepsy Home > Gabitril Overdose
As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Gabitril. Signs of a Gabitril overdose include drowsiness, agitation, and speech problems, among others. Treatment for a Gabitril overdose will vary, but may include options such as giving medications, "pumping the stomach," and administering supportive care (treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
Gabitril Overdose: An IntroductionGabitril® (tiagabine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication used to control a certain type of seizure. The effects of a Gabitril overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Gabitril dosage and whether the drug was taken with other medications, alcohol, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Gabitril, seek immediate medical attention.
- Decreased consciousness
- Agitation or hostility
- Confusion or disorientation
- Speech problems
- Weakness or lethargy
- Muscle twitching
- Coordination problems
- Temporary paralysis
- Difficulty breathing.
Life-threatening overdose symptoms are more likely if Gabitril is combined with alcohol or other medications.
Treatment for a Gabitril OverdoseThe treatment for a Gabitril overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Gabitril overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to control seizures
- Close monitoring of breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Gabitril.