Epilepsy Home > Carbatrol
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take Carbatrol include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take it with or without food. If Carbatrol upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush or chew the capsules, as this could cause too much medication to be released too quickly.
- If necessary, the capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled over a spoonful of applesauce or other soft food. The food (and medication beads) should immediately be swallowed whole, without chewing.
- Carbatrol should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carbatrol will not work if you stop taking it.
- Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Carbatrol Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of Carbatrol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.