Epilepsy Home > Carbamazepine Dosage
In order for carbamazepine to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. The carbamazepine dosage your healthcare provider recommends will be based on a number of factors, such as your age and weight, the condition being treated, the particular carbamazepine product being used, and other medications you are taking. Carbamazepine is available in several forms, including tablets, chewable tablets, extended-release tablets, extended-release capsules, and a liquid.
An Introduction to Carbamazepine DosageThe dose of carbamazepine (Carbatrol®, Epitol®, Equetro®, Tegretol®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- The condition being treated
- The particular carbamazepine product
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
- Carbatrol Dosage
- Epitol Dosage
- Equetro Dosage
- Tegretol Dosage, which also applies to generic carbamazepine tablets and suspension.)
General Carbamazepine Dosage InformationSome considerations for people taking carbamazepine include:
- Carbamazepine comes in several different forms, including tablets, chewable tablets, extended-release tablets, extended-release capsules, and suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth, usually two to four times daily, depending on the particular product.
- Carbamazepine can be taken with or without food. If carbamazepine upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Carbamazepine suspension -- make sure to shake the suspension thoroughly just before each dose. Do not mix the suspension with food or other liquids (including other medications).
- Extended-release carbamazepine tablets (Tegretol XR®) -- do not crush, chew, or break this long-acting form of carbamazepine. Inspect each tablet, to make sure it is not chipped or damaged. Make sure each tablet has a tiny hole (this is how the medication is released from the tablet). You may notice the carbamazepine shell in your stool; this is normal and should not cause any problems.
- Extended-release carbamazepine capsules (Carbatrol, Equetro) -- do not crush or chew the capsules, as this could cause too much medication to be released too quickly. If necessary, the capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled over a spoonful of applesauce or other soft food. The food and medication should immediately be swallowed whole (without chewing).
- Carbamazepine should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carbamazepine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or carbamazepine dosing in general, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Carbamazepine Withdrawal).