Benefits of Lyrica
Lyrica® (pregabalin) is a prescription drug licensed for the treatment of nerve pain, epilepsy, and fibromyalgia. Specifically, the benefits of Lyrica include treating the following conditions:
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy -- This medication is used to treat nerve pain associated with this condition
- Epilepsy -- Lyrica is used along with other seizure medications to treat a certain type of seizures called partial seizures
- Fibromyalgia -- This drug is helpful for relieving fibromyalgia pain
- Postherpetic neuralgia -- Lyrica can be used to treat nerve pain that occurs after an outbreak of shingles.
- Spinal cord injury -- Lyrica is approved to treat nerve pain associated with spinal cord injury.
On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend the drug for something other than the conditions discussed in this article. At this time, off-label Lyrica benefits can include the treatment of:
- Moderate pain, such as after a dental procedure.
Although it is not exactly clear how Lyrica works, it is believed to affect specific calcium channels in the brain.
(Click Lyrica for a more in-depth look at the possible benefits of Lyrica. This article also includes important information on how the drug works, possible side effects, and what to know before starting treatment.)