Lamictal XR Side Effects
Although most people respond well to Lamictal XR, side effects are possible. Problems that were reported in clinical trials include weight gain, blurred vision, and dizziness. These studies combined Lamictal XR with other medications, however, so it's unclear if the problems were directly related to this drug. Contact your doctor immediately if you develop a skin rash or other serious side effects.
An Introduction to Lamictal XR Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Lamictal® XR™ (extended-release lamotrigine). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Lamictal XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Lamictal XR
Lamictal XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Lamictal XR in addition to their usual seizure medications were documented and compared to side effects that occurred in another group of people taking their usual seizure medications plus a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients).
This way, it is possible to see what Lamictal XR side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group taking the placebo.
Because Lamictal XR was added to other seizure medications in clinical studies and not used alone, the information from these studies probably does not accurately reflect the true incidence of side effects actually caused by Lamictal XR.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Lamictal XR (plus other seizure medications) included:
- Dizziness -- in up to 19 percent of people
- Fatigue, weakness, or malaise (a general ill feeling) -- up to 9 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 8 percent
- Nausea -- up to 7 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 7 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 7 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 2 to 6 percent of people, included:
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Blurred vision, double vision, or abnormal eye movements
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain), vomiting, or constipation
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain
- Changes in walking gait or balance problems
- The flu or flu-like symptoms (such as a fever and chills)
- Sinus infection
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain (see Lamictal XR and Weight Gain)
- Muscle pain
- Depression or anxiety
- Throat pain, nosebleeds, or sinus congestion
- Rashes, hair loss, or hot flashes.