Benefits of Klonopin
Klonopin® (clonazepam) is a prescription medicine approved to treat epilepsy and panic disorder. It is beneficial for improving symptoms of panic disorder and treating certain types of epileptic seizures, including:
- Seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Akinetic seizures (also known as atonic seizures), which are characterized by a sudden loss of muscle tone, causing "drop attacks"
- Myoclonic seizures, which are characterized by sudden, brief muscle jerks
- Absence seizures, which are characterized by brief periods of decreased awareness or "spacing out."
There are many other benefits of this drug. Benzodiazepine medications (such as Klonopin) have various effects on the body, including:
- Reducing anxiety
- Causing sleepiness
- Relaxing muscles
- Stopping seizures
- Impairing short-term memory.
All benzodiazepines can have these effects to some degree, depending on the specific benzodiazepine that is being taken. They work in the brain by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a brain chemical that is naturally calming. GABA can slow down or stop certain nerve signals in the brain.
(Click Klonopin to learn more about Klonopin's benefits, for information on when and how to take the drug, and to find out what you should discuss with your healthcare provider before starting this medication.)