Keppra XR Side Effects
Drowsiness, nausea, and dizziness are some of the most common side effects of Keppra XR. In most cases, side effects of the medication are mild, but a few of the rarer side effects are potentially serious and should be reported to a healthcare provider immediately. Some of the side effects that require medical attention include hallucinations, extreme drowsiness, and anxiety or aggression.
An Introduction to Keppra XR Side Effects
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Keppra XR™ (levetiracetam XR); however, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Keppra XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Keppra XR side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects
Keppra XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Keppra XR included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 8 percent of people
- The flu -- up to 8 percent
- Irritability -- up to 7 percent
- Common cold symptoms -- up to 7 percent
- Nausea -- up to 5 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 5 percent.
Serious Side Effects Seen With Keppra XR
Some side effects of Keppra XR, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Depression, anxiety, aggression, or other emotional changes
- Hallucinations, delusions, or other psychotic changes
- Worsening of seizures
- Extreme drowsiness that does not seem to be improving
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.