Keppra XR Dosage
The recommended starting Keppra XR dosage for treating partial seizures in people ages 16 and older is two 500 mg tablets once a day. In most cases, your healthcare provider will gradually increase your dose either until your seizures are controlled or you develop any side effects. The maximum dose is 3000 mg total per day.
The dose of Keppra XR™ (levetiracetam XR) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Keppra XR
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your age and weight.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting Keppra XR dose for partial seizure treatment in adults and adolescents age 16 years and older is 1000 mg (two 500 mg tablets) once daily. Typically, your healthcare provider will slowly increase your dose (by 1000 mg every two weeks) until your seizures are controlled or you develop bothersome Keppra XR side effects. The maximum Keppra XR dose is 3000 mg total per day.
If you have kidney disease (including kidney failure), you may need a lower dosage.
Considerations for people taking Keppra XR include the following:
- Keppra XR comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken by mouth just once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Keppra XR tablets must be swallowed whole. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablets.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking this medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Keppra XR or your Keppra XR dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without consulting your healthcare provider.