Felbatol Side Effects
Commonly reported side effects of Felbatol include insomnia, indigestion, and vomiting. While these reactions generally require little or no treatment, it is possible to experience potentially serious side effects while taking this drug. For example, if you experience unusual bruising, suicidal thoughts, or difficulty breathing, make sure to notify your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Felbatol Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Felbatol® (felbamate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Felbatol. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of FelbatolFelbatol has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received Felbatol, while another group was given either another seizure medication or a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the other medication or the placebo.
In these studies, the most common Felbatol side effects included:
- Insomnia -- in up to 8.6 percent of people
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 8.6 percent
- Vomiting - up to 8.6 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections (such as the common cold) -- up to 8.6 percent
- Tiredness or lack of energy -- up to 6.9 percent
- Headaches -- up to 6.9 percent
- Constipation -- up to 6.9 percent.
Other common reactions (occurring in 3 to 5.2 percent of people) included:
- Weight loss
- Low levels of phosphate in the blood
- Double vision
- Swelling of the face
- Ear infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs), such as a bladder infection
- Irregular menstruation.