An Introduction to Diazepam Side Effects
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with diazepam
); however, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with diazepam. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of diazepam side effects with you.)
Serious Side Effects of Diazepam
Some side effects with diazepam, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Depression (or worsening of existing depression)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Yellow eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Difficulty breathing
- Anxiety, excitation, or agitation
- Hostility, aggression, or rage
- Insomnia (see Valium and Insomnia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.