When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take Carbatrol include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take it with or without food. If Carbatrol upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush or chew the capsules, as this could cause too much medication to be released too quickly.
- If necessary, the capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled over a spoonful of applesauce or other soft food. The food (and medication beads) should immediately be swallowed whole, without chewing.
- Carbatrol should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carbatrol will not work if you stop taking it.
- Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Carbatrol Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of Carbatrol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Carbatrol Dosage for more information.)